Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Amazing Place!

Most of you know that we chose Florida Proton as the best place to help me kill this cancer. Now that I'm here, I could not be happier with the choice!

First, the people. Fantastic! Empathetic, smart, anxious to help. What else can I say?

The facility. It is brand new, about two years, and absolutely cutting edge. They are associated with the University of Florida and I guess that gives them access to additional funds. In any case, they have the best of everything. I hope to get some pictures and statistics that I can share with you in the next couple of days.

To start, here's an interesting fact...

Each day, I go in and lie down on a table on which there is a special mold that they made for me on the first day. It gets me in position. Then they line me up with lasers that have to match the crosses tattooed on each hip. Once I'm exactly in position, the table rotates horizontally 180 degrees so that I'm in position for the treatment. OK, now here's the interesting fact....

That table I mentioned??? It is so precise in it's movements and adjustments, it costs over $1Million!!!

And they have three treatment gantries! Yikes!

No comments: