Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Porpoises!

My rented condo is right on the St. John's River in Jacksonville. Anne and I love to walk so I've been looking for places we can go when she comes to visit this week. There are lots of good places to walk around here and I tried a new one today. Altogether about 3 miles.

I left at about 0700, before the heat, and walked across the Main Street Bridge to the south side of the river. Then I walked east to the end of the RiverWalk. Along the way, I was looking out at the river and noticed a porpoise cruising slowly by and heading toward the ocean. Didn't know they came up here! Turned out that there were about a dozen of them, adults and children, and they were loafing along. I'd see their backs curl out of the water, a quick blow, and then back under. Over and over. People were coming out of hotels and offices to watch. (Interestingly, they were about 75 feet out from the bank which meant that they were out of the shipping/boat channel. I don't thing that was coincidence...)

Since they were loafing along, I thought I'd step up my pace to stay even with them and be able to watch them longer. Can you say, "Fat Chance!"? They lost me pretty quickly. But beautiful they were!

No comments: