Tuesday, June 17, 2008

OMG!! - I. P. Orange!

Yesterday was the first kinda tough day.

Now, understand that "tough day" is relative. There is a lady here who has something called SNUC. Sino-Nasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma. (Think sinuses.) She's getting two proton treatments and one "regular" photon radiation treatment each day and chemo every week. She's in a lot of pain and has facial burns from all the radiation. There are little kids here with various cancers of the brain and spine who have to be put to sleep every day so that they can be treated and other folks who are much worse off than we. So take my little whine with a grain of salt.

In fact, it's not uncommon in our lunch meetings, (support group stuff), for one of us prostate guys to talk about the fact that we are sick, we are being treated for cancer, and for the most part we feel fine. It's almost surreal when we look around at truly sick patients.

That said, there are some things that can happen in our treatment. Lucky me, I've hit one of them. I'll explain the mechanism of how the protons work in another post. For now, they do cause damage to the prostate as they deal with the cancer cells therein. Makes sense, no? Prior to this I guess I never knew that a prostate could hurt. Well, it can. I'm not talking about major pain, it just hurts to pee and feels like one has to pee all the time.

Are We Having Fun Yet?!!

Anyhow, I told the technicians about it and they sent me to the doc. He told me to take Advil, cranberry pills, and AZO, all over the counter stuff. I never knew there was such a thing as cranberry pills! I also never knew that AZO turns urine a bright flaming orange.

SURPRISE!!

Reminds me of when I was a paramedic and we occasionally got exposed to meningitis. We would have to take a drug called Rifampin. That resulted in a VERY bright yellow.

I'm a kaleidoscope! Can't wait to start glowing in the dark.

No comments: