Thursday, June 19, 2008

Birthday Girl & I Broke It!!

Anne's birthday is today. 39! (or so)

I decided to do something really special for her on her birthday so she got to go with me when I went to the Proton Center for my treatment. (What??? What's wrong with that? I'll bet no one took YOU to the Proton Center on your birthday...!)

I left her in the waiting room with a promise that I'd be back in about 30 minutes or so. I went back and changed into a very stylish hospital gown, and I walked into the treatment room. (BTW, when in said gown I've learned not to sit down on the wooden benches in the changing rooms. They are some kinda' COLD!)

This is a picture of a table like the one I lie on. It is rotated into the "gantry" in the treatment position and it has a blue "body mold" sitting on it. The big white thing pointing at it is the "nozzle". The entire gantry rotates around the table to put the nozzle in the proper position for the treatment.

I hopped up on the table and got into my "body mold" and the table promptly broke. They were very kind to reassure me that it had nothing to do with my weight. (So, why do you think they felt that was necessary? Hmm...)

Oh, and didn't I mention the table in an earlier post?

The $1,000,000.00 table?

That I just broke???

Long story short, it turned out to be a software and control-head problem that required replacing a part and rebooting the system. For that, I had to get off the table and we had to start over.

After an hour or so we got the treatment finished. Anne and I then joined the patient orientation tour so that she could hear all about the center and what they do. It was a great tour and I'll detail some of the info in the next post.

Later, Anne and I drove around and I showed her a lot of the city. Jacksonville is a fantastic city and there are just tons of things to do here. In the evening, I took Anne out for the birthday dinner at Ruth's Chris since she had never been. We had a great dinner overlooking the St Johns River. (OK, does that make up for the 2nd paragraph??)

No comments: